Sunday, February 1, 2015

Commit Your Way to the Lord

This week I began writing a new book about personal prophecies that I had received since 1974. I started the book at that period in my life; the year I was called to preach. As I was walking up the stairs this morning to my office, I remembered something that preceded my call the previous year. It was like the Lord was replaying the event in my mind.

Dr. Stephen Olford
     I believe the year was 1973 when Dr. Stephen Olford preached at the Second Baptist Church in downtown Birmingham. He preached that night about letting the Lord lead and guide our lives. For several months, I had been sensing the Lord was about to do something in my life. When Dr. Olford gave the invitation to surrender our lives totally under Jesus' Lordship, we went to the altar. We were sitting in the balcony, and it took several minutes to get to the front where he was about to pray with those who had responded. He waited until we got there. Dr. Olford prayed a prayer for guidance in our lives. I knew that the Lord was calling us, but we didn't know what it was. Following his prayer, he said, "This verse will help you come into God's plan for your life." Psalm 37:5 "Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass." This went down deep in my heart, and I prayed this prayer daily.

     I committed myself and my need for direction. I trusted in the Lord and knew that Jesus had it covered. I had the confidence that He will make it happen. Less than a year later, I was called by God to preach the Gospel. Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment