Friday, January 23, 2015

An Emotional Shift is in Order

Today has been unusual for me emotionally. I like winter, and rain does not bother me. I cannot blame my emotions on the weather. The truth is that I just do not feel good. Some people of faith discount emotions. They even try to explain away why Jesus wept at Lazarus' tomb. When you examine the life of David you find his emotions were all over the board. He was known as a man after God's own heart. The psalms he wrote expressed his feelings when he was up and when he was down.

There are two verses in the Bible that I turn to when I am emotionally down. The first one is found in 1 Samuel 30:6 "but David encouraged himself in the Lord his God."  David did not wait on someone else to pick him up. He did not wait until the negative circumstances changed. David encouraged himself. He took matters into his own hands. He encouraged himself in the Lord! I am sure David started remembering the many times God had delivered him. As he remembered the stories his courage was renewed. When we remember our own stories of deliverance, our faith and emotions start to turn around in a more positive way.

Acts 26:2 "I think myself happy..." Paul said this to King Agrippa. Jesus said, "As a man thinks, so is he." How we think about situations makes a big difference in our emotions. We can say, "I think I'm going to fail this time." We can say, "I think the Lord is going to help me." Thinking and saying the right things can change our situation. We have control over both; we are not robots.

After writing this post I am feeling much better!




No comments:

Post a Comment